Reasons Every Kid Should Have a Pet
Children that grow up with pets have less risk of allergies and asthma, studies have shown. Studies have also shown that pets relieve stress. If you child is stressed with schoolwork, a friend, or even a family member, playing with their pet helps them lower their blood pressure and stress levels. Petting an animal releases built up tension and slows the heart rate down. So, if your child had a rough day at school, the animal will be there as a friend and companion. They are also helpful in childhood obesity, one of the unfortunate growing trends. Playing fetch or walking with their dog will keep your child in shape! Your dog or cat can keep your child smart by reading to their animal. If not brother or sisters are there, this is a perfect companion to read to! They will also help calm fears at night time when your child feels lonely.
Responsibility is Taught
Learning to care for an animal will help your child be a good pet owner and someday a good parent. Knowing how to care for animals is close to how it is for children. Teaching young children how to refill the water and food bowls can help them feel a part of the caretaker role. Let your child try to train your dog or even your cat. As a parent, it is fun to watch them interact. Children and animals usually have connections that will surprise you. Committing to an animal is a lifelong bond. After growing with an animal, you child will someday have to say goodbye to their friend, this is tough emotionally, but also a good learning experience.
Teach young children vital things about dogs and cats.
• Never approach the animal while they are eating or from behind. This may strike fear and they may bite your child.
• Let them see you discipline in a positive manner so they too learn that way to discipline.
• Watch young children all the time when around a new animal. No matter how much you trust your animal, you never know what they can do when you are not there.
• Let your child come to the vet with you. This will show them that the dog or cat needs doctor visits, just like them!
• Be aware that having a puppy or a kitten is like having a newborn again. Puppy proofing it just like child proofing. Make your home safe for everyone!
The benefits will live with your child for the rest of their lives. So, when your child asks if he or she can get a puppy or kitten, do not jump to the word no before exploring the reasons you should say yes.